Thursday, December 18, 2008
Tonight's post is my last one for this year - I'll be "on vacation" for the Christmas holidays!
Well, I picked this up from the HPB bargain bin and I really expected more of this album. I was actually disappointed and found it rather boring - not what I'd expect from the King of Bling. But, I was already recording it so I'm sharing it with you. Besides, I know there are some Liberace fans out there! Really, if anything - download it for Liberace's narration of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" - I thought it was rather good. The date on the album says 1981, but I'm sure it's a reissue of a reissue, and on a budget, budget label. And - no, you're not mistaken - "O' Holy Night" is on there twice. I have no idea why they did that because I couldn't find any difference between the two - they sound exactly the same. Maybe it was a mistake or they just couldn't find another song to put on this album. Or, they thought that someone who really loves that song could listen to it no matter what side of the album was being played.
Anyway, y'all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! See you in 2009 with more cool albums!
Track listing for Liberace - 'Twas The Night Before Christmas:
1. 'Twas The Night Before Christmas
2. The Rosary
3. O' Tannenbaum
4. O' Holy Night
5. What Child Is This
1. Christmas Medley (O' Little Town of Bethlehem; It Came Upon A Midnight Clear; Joy To The World)
2. O' Holy Night
3. Beauty of Holiness
4. Ave Maria
5. Gesu Bambino
Here's Liberace - and all his bling - playing a Christmas medley:
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Here's yet another treasure from the HPB bargain bin (I can't believe people get rid of some of these records!). I got this one at a different store than my usual and was delighted to find that the records in that store's bargain bin are only 50 cents instead of a dollar! Wow! I even bought a double album for 50 cents!!!
Anyway, this one should take some of you back to the days when you wore the platform shoes and white polyester suits to go dancing at the disco. I had no idea there were disco Christmas albums! Boy, they think of everything! And I really liked this album - it's a new way to listen to those traditional Christmas carols. They've got a beat and you can dance to them! Plus, it's got "joyous disco versions of great Christmas classics!" Well, this post is dedicated to my old friend from high school, Cecil, who was the disco queen of our class.
Track listing for The Mistletoe Disco Band - Christmas Disco:
1. Sleigh Ride
2. Jingle Bells
3. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
4. Jingle Bell Rock
5. Silver Bells
1. Winter Wonderland
2. Little Drummer Boy
3. Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer
4. Joy To The World
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Hey, all! Well, I finally finished putting together my Christmas compilation for this year. I was going to let iTunes randomly pick the songs for me, but I was never happy with the choices so I decided to just go through all my Christmas songs and hand-pick the songs. This is a little different from last year's Cool Yule Tunes - I think it has more less-traditional Christmas and holiday songs. But it's great to play in the car, or add to your iPod, or play at your Christmas party! And if you go download last year's compilation, you'll have double the fun! This is basically "my Christmas card to you" (as the Partridge Family would sing), and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together!
Track listing for Cool Yule Tunes 2008 - A Stax o' Wax Compilation:
1. Happy Holiday/The Holiday Season - Andy Williams
2. Sleigh Ride - The Ventures
3. Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
4. Joy To The World - The Mistletoe Disco Band
5. Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters
6. It Happened In Sun Valley - Glenn Miller Singers
7. Suzy Snowflake - Rosemary Clooney
8. You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft
9. O Tannenbaum - Vince Guaraldi Trio
10. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Ella Fitzgerald
11. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
12. The Christmas Song - Mel Torme
13. We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Ray Conniff & The Singers
14. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm/I Love The Winter Weather - Tony Bennett
15. It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - Amy Grant
16. Mistletoe And Holly - Jack Jones
17. Pine Cones And Holly Berries - The Osmonds
18. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - The Partridge Family
19. Here Comes Santa Claus - Esquivel
20. Frosty The Snowman/Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Henry Mancini
21. The 12 Days Of Christmas - The Sinatra Family
22. Carol Of The Bells - Leonard Bernstein & The New York Philharmonic
23. That Holiday Feeling - Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme
24. Cha-Cha All The Way - Capitol Studio Orchestra
25. Baby It's Cold Outside - Carmen McRae & Sammy Davis Jr.
26. Here We Come A-Caroling - The New Christy Minstrels
27. We Need A Little Christmas - The Golddiggers
28. I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas - Gayla Peevey
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Here's a real treasure that I found at HPB - and I didn't get it from the bargain bin! I didn't even know about this album, so you can imagine my surprise when I found it and for so cheap ($3.98). Does anyone know if there's any other record that Frank and his kids recorded together? Well, I think it's just dandy that we get to hear Tina and Frank Jr. each sing a song on this. Nancy was already recording hit records, so she gets two solo songs on this album, plus a duet with Tina. But my favorites are the songs where Frank Sr. and the kids all sing together. I especially like their version of "The 12 Days of Christmas".
So, better hurry and download this one before it goes away!
Track listing for The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas:
1. I Wouldn't Trade Christmas - The Sinatra Family
2. It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year - Nancy Sinatra
3. Some Children See Him - Frank Sinatra Jr.
4. O Bambino (One Cold And Blessed Winter) - Tina and Nancy Sinatra
5. The Bells Of Christmas (Greensleeves) - The Sinatra Family
1. Whatever Happened To Christmas - Frank Sinatra
2. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Tina Sinatra
3. Kids - Nancy Sinatra
4. The Christmas Waltz - Frank Sinatra
5. The 12 Days Of Christmas - The Sinatra Family
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Today's share is one of my mother's Christmas albums. I grew up listening to this album, and I remember that, as a child, I thought it was really boring, although I liked the cover (especially the girl's dress and hairdo). I preferred the Chipmunks to this, but as I was recording this album the other day, I really liked it! I guess I've grown up. Sigh. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Anyway, the cover scan is one I found on the internet because, once again, my mother wrote our last name all over the cover. (Mom was a schoolteacher and often took her records to play for her class or for the Christmas pageant, so she had to make sure and label her stuff to get it back.) So, go listen to this record because, as it says in the liner notes, "The Midnight String Quartet presents the Christmas album of the year, and for every year to come!"
Track listing for Midnight String Quartet - Christmas Rhapsodies For Young Lovers:
1. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
2. Silent Night
3. White Christmas
4. The Little Drummer Boy
5. Oh, Holy Night
6. The Christmas Song
1. Sleigh Ride
2. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
3. Blue Christmas
4. First Noel
5. Winter Wonderland
6. Christmas Rhapsody