Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Leonard Nimoy - Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy (1968)
Well, after posting that last Leonard Nimoy album on Sunday, my buddy, Gordon, requested in his comment that I post this album. Ask and you shall receive (provided I have the album, of course)!
Anyway, in this earlier album (I forgot to mention on the last post that Leonard had gone on to be a regular on TV's "Mission: Impossible" when he recorded that album), "Star Trek" was on TV and Leonard recorded this album as Spock on one side and as himself on the other. Being the Trekker that I am, I like the Spock side better, although, I love "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"! It's just a hilarious song, especially if you watch the video of Leonard singing it! (If you want to watch the video, just click on the "Leonard Nimoy" label on this post, and it'll bring up all posts. I posted the video when I did "The Touch of Leonard Nimoy" a while back.) There is one song on here that I don't like - "If I Were a Carpenter". I've never liked that song (not even when Bobby Darin sang it) - I just think it's one of the most boring songs ever. Just my opinion. Some of you may love that song, and that's great, so I hope you like this version! Enjoy the album! Oh, and after each song, I've typed what it says on the record for that song.
Track listing for Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy:
1. Highly Illogical - Spock's reactions to some earth-behavior.
2. The Difference Between Us - Could Spock ever feel hidden, deep, emotional love problems? Could he react as a human in a romantic situation?
3. Once I Smiled - Once Spock's emotional barriers were broken down, and for a short while he tasted a bitter-sweet romantic experience.
4. Spock Thoughts - Some excellent vulcanian advice and philosophy.
5. By Myself - As "alien" to the planet earth, Spock is not always completely at home, and feels his loneliness at times.
6. Follow Your Star - Aim high in life. Make your goal a star and follow it.
7. Amphibious Assault - A surrealistic battle of the future. Will war come to this?
1. The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins - Long an admirer of the "Hobbits", Nimoy sings of the adventures of the bravest Hobbit of them all.
2. Cotton Candy - A modern, thought-image in musical setting, written by one of the camera crew of the Star Trek series.
3. Gentle On My Mind - The kind of song that Nimoy personally loves to sing.
4. Miranda - A lovely Bart Howard song in a classic-folk tradition.
5. If I Were a Carpenter - Another "modern" folk song, sung by Nimoy in an unusual rhythmic setting.
6. Love of the Common People - A song that Nimoy enjoys singing on personal appearances, since it reflects his own philosophy.