Thursday, February 11, 2010

KAAM Most Requested - A Stax o' Wax Compilation (2009)


As I have mentioned on several occasions, I am an avid listener of a local Dallas radio station, KAAM 770. I started listening to it in 1987 quite by accident. I had a radio on my desk at work and had been out one day (jury duty, if I remember correctly). The next day, when I returned to work, I turned on my radio and thought it was weird that they were playing "How Much is That Doggie in the Window" by Patti Page. That wasn't the kind of music I listened to! Then I noticed that my radio station had been changed and was a bit put off. But I realized that I loved that song and that I hadn't heard it since I was a little girl. So I left the station on and really liked what I was hearing. That has been my favorite radio station since that day (except for a short period when the station went "dark"). The station has moved around a couple of times to different frequencies and it's been sold a couple of times, but it looks like the current owners intend to keep it around for awhile. I have won several contests through the years (free ballroom dance lessons - that's how I got started on that, autographed CD from Bobby Sherman, free tickets to see Patti Page) and have discovered a lot of wonderful music through this station. When my mother would come visit me in Dallas, she enjoyed the station, too, and often commented how she wished there was a similar type station back home. She even got to go with me to a couple of station sponsored events - tea dances and such. "Old" music and "classic" movies were something that my mother and I had in common and enjoyed sharing.

Well, a couple or so years ago, KAAM listed their most requested songs on their website. I copied the list and started compiling the songs. I finally finished putting it all together (I get sidetracked sometimes) so here it is. Every song is familiar and a classic. Check out KAAM on the internet and listen to it online!

Track listing for KAAM Most Requested:

1. My Way - Frank Sinatra
2. In the Mood - Glenn Miller and his Orchestra
3. Somewhere My Love - Ray Conniff
4. I Left My Heart in San Francisco - Tony Bennett
5. Moon River - Henry Mancini
6. Spanish Eyes - Al Martino
7. Theme from "A Summer Place" - Percy Faith and his Orchestra
8. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
9. It's Impossible - Perry Como
10. Downtown - Petula Clark
11. Sugartime - McGuire Sisters
12. A Man Without Love - Engelbert Humperdinck
13. A Certain Smile - Johnny Mathis
14. Love is Blue - Paul Mauriat
15. On a Clear Day - Robert Goulet
16. Welcome to My World - Jim Reeves
17. Tammy - Debbie Reynolds
18. I've Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis Jr.
19. Tea for Two Cha Cha - Tommy Dorsey Orchestra conducted by Warren Covington
20. Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles
21. Cast Your Fate to the Wind - Sounds Orchestral
22. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Les Brown and his Band of Reknown
23. Rainy Night in Georgia - Brook Benton
24. Music, Music, Music - Teresa Brewer
25. Love is a Many Splendored Thing - Four Aces
26. Make the World Go Away - Eddy Arnold
27. Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
28. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
29. Today - New Christy Minstrels
30. Don't Be That Way - Benny Goodman and his Orchestra

6 comments:

ChildsPlay said...

Great compilation. Can't wait to listen,

Swank Daddy said...

Thanks for all of the great music. It's very much appreciated. I've been including a link to you from my own music blog:

http://swankliving.blogspot.com/

and wonder if you would be so kind as to reciprocate.

Many thanks,
Swank Daddy

Esther said...

Hi, Child's Play!
Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting!


Hi, Swank Daddy!
Thanks for the kind words! I have added your link. I don't think I had ever visited your blog - it's great! Lots of great tunes!

Esther

RecordCollector said...

Great one Esther, love your blog!!!

Albert

Edmundo Floss said...

great ! great ! marvelous ! greetings from brazil !

Brad Baard said...

Love your blog, Esther! :-)
You came to light for me recently when I posted an image of Lover's Luau cover art at http://bollemakiesie.blogspot.com/

and thought it'd be cool to link to the tunes - hey presto! what a delicious discovery, I'll be back plenty I'm sure.