Sunday, October 09, 2011

Johnny Crawford - A Young Man's Fancy (1962)


I remember watching Johnny Crawford on "The Rifleman" when I was a little girl. It was one of the TV shows that my father and I would watch together. I had a big crush on Chuck Connors, and really didn't pay much attention to Johnny. Other than this show, I never saw Johnny in anything else, and I don't remember ever hearing his big hit, "Cindy's Birthday", on the radio. I never even knew that he was a Mouseketeer until sometime in the 1990s, when I went to a vintage toy show and he was there signing autographs. Of course, I stopped by and got an autographed pic and talked to him a little bit (by then, I was into collecting the vintage LPs, and trying to find those in the "celebrity vocals" category). That's when I found out that he was now the leader of a big band orchestra. Now, I just love Johnny and love watching him on reruns of "The Rifleman", which are being aired on AMC and the Encore Westerns channels. The title of this album was also the title of one of the episodes of "The Rifleman", and features "Cindy's Birthday", which I hear pretty regularly now on a local "music legends" radio station. I cleaned it up as much as I could, but there are still clicks and pops, and some skips. (If anyone has a better rip, please do share!) Enjoy!


Track listing for Johnny Crawford - A Young Man's Fancy:

Side 1:
1. Cindy's Birthday
2. Sittin' and A Watchin'
3. Debbie
4. Something Special
5. I'm Walkin'
6. Your Nose is Gonna Grow

Side 2:
1. Mr. Blue
2. In the Wee Small Hours
3. Moon River
4. Little White Cloud
5. Young at Heart

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Esther:)
I figured this might turn out to be a load of pubescent, sentimental slop, but shame on me for my preconceptions:-)))))
The lad had a very pleasing voice, and carries off this romantic set well.
It's virtually always time well spent, when I check out what you put up here!

3-Pin said...

Esther - Johnny Crawford now specializes in early 20th century dance band arrangements with the Johnny Crawford Dance Orchestra. He has an album out called "Sweeping the Clouds Away."