Monday, February 06, 2012

Mario Lanza - A Legendary Performer (1976)


Here's one in a category that I don't usually post - a record of Mario Lanza songs. I got this record during one of the several times that I was in one of those mail-order record clubs. I had seen a movie starring Mario (where he sings "Arrivederci, Roma") and just fell in love with him. To this day, that song brings tears to my eyes because he sings it so beautifully. I know my mom was pleased that I liked this kind of music - thought I was growing out of that "rock and roll" stuff!
Mario Lanza, tenor. He was around for too few years. Legendary performer. Legendary personality. He stamped his image on his times and left the sound of his voice for a world to enjoy.
Track listing for Mario Lanza - A Legendary Performer:

Side 1:
1. Be My Love
2. Because
3. The Loveliest Night of the Year
4. Serenade
5. Torna a Surriento
6. Arrivederci, Roma

Side 2:
1. Celeste Aida (Heavenly Aida)
2. Vesti la Giubba (On with the Play)
3. Granada
4. Marechiare
5. Mattinata
6. O Sole Mio

Here's the scene from the movie "Seven Hills of Rome" where Mario sings "Arrivederci, Roma":

1 comment:

lugworm said...

Very nice! Thank you for posting this.