Sunday, August 27, 2006

Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining (1968)

Today's offering is Richard Harris' 1968 album "A Tramp Shining", which contains his hit "MacArthur Park". The entire album was written, arranged, and produced by Jimmy Webb. Now, the back of the album says "Richard Harris sings" - well, I suppose I have heard worse. It was actually pretty painful for me to listen to this album, but one of the reasons I like it (and many other albums) is because it is so bad! Yes, yes, I know "MacArthur Park" was a big hit, reaching #2 for Mr.Harris in 1968; but, the song itself is so bad and then to be an even bigger hit ten years later for Donna Summer, reaching #1! I mean, have you really listened to the words? Just the same, I can't help liking it! (FYI - it only reached #38 for the Four Tops in 1971.) And I do like Richard Harris - he was a magnificent actor! Anyway, for all you Richard Harris the SINGER fans, here's "A Tramp Shining". I've got to go now because it's raining here in Dallas, and I think I left my birthday cake out in the rain.....

Track Listing for Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining:

Side 1:
1. Didn't We
2. Paper Chase
3. Name of My Sorrow
4. Lovers Such as I
5. In the Final Hours

Side 2:
1. MacArthur Park
2. Dancing Girl
3. If You Must Leave My Life
4. A Tramp Shining

1 comment:

Michael lB. said...

Did you know Jimmy Webb originally tried to give "Macarthur Park" to The Association? They'd rejected it..Bones Howe wanted a Side-Long Song..They'd politely said "No!",and did their own songs instead..that ended Bones & The Association's Friendship..Bones gave it to Harris instead.