Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dennis Weaver - Dennis Weaver (1972)


Well, here's a real treat for you "McCloud" fans! I never even knew that Dennis Weaver had recorded any albums until I found this in the HPB clearance bin, and, of course, I HAD to buy it. Dennis passed away last year (February 2006), and I do miss him. He was just one of those guys that I could just tell was a really, really nice down-to-earth guy. I never saw the "Gunsmoke" episodes where he played Marshall Dillon's sidekick, Chester (I grew up with Festus), but I definitely watched "McCloud" with my dad in the 70s. Plus, one of my favorite movies is "Duel", one of Steven Spielberg's early films, and starring Dennis Weaver as a businessman who is terrorized on the road by a psychotic truck driver. In recent years, Dennis was a host on the Encore Westerns cable movie channel. There are a lot of interesting facts about Dennis, and you can check them out on his official website.

Back to this album... In general, I'm not a fan of country music, but I really like this album (I consider it country). Dennis has an easy-going voice that's easy on the ear. My favorite songs on this album are "Ode to a Critter" and "No Name". The lady's voice you hear on a couple of the songs belongs to his wife, Gerry. And - gotta love the cover! Oh, I tried to clean it up as best I could, but there are still audible clicks and pops - not uncommon on old vinyl. The first two songs on side 2 also have a skip each, but not that bad (in my opinion).

Track listing for Dennis Weaver - Dennis Weaver:

Side 1:
1. Another Way
2. Ode to a Critter (Fish, Bird & Cow Song)
3. Lonesome to the Lonely
4. I'd Rather Be With You Than Anyone
5. 20th Century Man (Our Man is Coming)

Side 2:
1. Where Have the Wild Blackberries Gone
2. No Name
3. Learn to Love
4. I Still Sing 'Jesus Loves Me'
5. Time
6. Work Through My Hands, Lord

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there...
I just found your blog yesterday, and ended app. 8 years of searching. Sound unbelievable, doesn't it? But it's true. I've been looking for the song. "Another Way" by Dennis Weaver. It's been impossible to find it anywhere here in Denmark, and it wasn't until I stumbled across your site that I finally found it. Thank you for a brilliant site.
Now all I have to do is to find a way to get my greedy hands on the song ;)
Cheers from Denmark