Sunday, April 01, 2007

Rodney Allen Rippy - Take Life a Little Easier (1974)


Okay, after I listened to this album, I could ask myself only one question... "Why???" Do you ever wonder who these people are who think it's a good idea to make a certain type of record album? Or if they really think that someone is good enough that they'll sell records? Yeah, I know - they're just wanting to capitalize on the momentary popularity of someone or a product. And it sometimes works.

Nothing against Rodney Allen Rippy - I think he was absolutely adorable when he did the Jack-in-the-Box commercials and sang "Take Life a Little Easier"! And his cute little giggle at the end is completely infectious! (I really wanted to post the video of the commercial but couldn't find it anywhere.) But, somehow I remembered his singing to have been better. Well, he was only five years old at the time and not exactly a trained, polished vocalist - so if that's what you're expecting, then you'll be in for a not-so-pleasant surprise. This is just a little kid singing - sometimes on-key and sometimes off-key - and being accompanied by lots of studio musicians, who often drown him out. But, for what it's worth, this is a great piece of pop culture. That's why I bought this album (in the dollar bin at HPB, thankfully) and that's why I'm sharing it with you. Gotta love pop culture. (And, Rodney was absolutely adorable!)

Track listing for Rodney Allen Rippy - Take Life a Little Easier:

Side 1:
1. Take Life a Little Easier
2. Eenie-Meenie-Minee-Moe
3. The Birds and the Bees
4. Everybody Knows But You
5. World of Love

Side 2:
1. The Candy Man
2. It's a Small World
3. Peaches and Cream
4. Smiling
5. Never Thought I Could Be a Star
6. He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

5 comments:

BillHolmes3 said...

Esther Thanks so much for this! I wondered if you might have the album that Daid Jones put out before becoming a Monkee? He sang "A Londoner" on the alblum and I remember him having a crew cut on the cover!!

Esther said...

Hi, Bill & Christine!

Glad you liked Rodney Allen Rippy! No, I don't have the David Jones album you're talking about, but I do know which one it is. I'm sure someone in this vinyl sharity community has it and it'll turn up. I'll keep an eye out for it, too.

Thanks for visiting!

David Bruce-Casares said...

OMG!! Another I'd never expected in a million years!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have my scratchy 45 of "Take Life a Little Easier" -- with misprinted labels (on the wrong sides).

Yes, definitely part of pop culture!

Thanks,
David

That Girl Tam said...

OMG!! I was actually googling this record when your blog popped up! I was looking for a link to give the man proper recognition on today's blog! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I HAD THIS! He's a few years older than me, but I remember singing along with this record when I was about 5 - when my mother gave me my first record player! I absolutely LOVED this record and now after reading this post, I'm sad that I lost the album.

This is FANTASTIC!!

Esther said...

Hi, David! Hi, Phoenix!

So glad you had a pleasant surprise when you found this on my blog. I had a feeling it would be an amusing find for some folks!

Thanks for visiting, and remember...
"take life a little easier!"