Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Compilation


Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I know the day is almost over, but I hope some of you get a chance to download this and play it for your mothers. Or, for those of you (like myself) whose mothers are no longer with you, play it for yourselves and remember your mothers with all the love they deserve.

Mother's Day is a bittersweet holiday for me, as my own mother passed away 15 years ago on Mother's Day. But I lovingly remember many a Mother's Day - my father and I going shopping for a card and present, going up-valley to my uncle's house and spending the day with his family. One of the traditions our family had on Mother's Day was to go to the cemetery and place flowers on my grandmothers' and great-grandmother's graves. I know that may sound odd to some of you, but I actually remember it with fondness - I think that's one reason why I have come to value my ancestors and heritage, thanks to my mother. In my adult years, after my father passed away, I moved away but I would take my mother out to lunch or dinner if one of us was visiting the other. I was lucky to have spent a week with my mother (she came to visit for a week) just a few days before she passed away.

So, I hope you like this compilation of songs (most of them seem to bring a tear to your eye).

Track listing for Mother's Day Compilation:

Mama - B.J. Thomas
Rock and Roll Lullaby - B.J. Thomas
Mama - Connie Francis
Que Sera, Sera - Doris Day
Mama Said - Dusty Springfield
You and Me Against the World - Helen Reddy
Mother of Mine - Jimmy Osmond
The Sweetest Gift - Linda Ronstadt
Mama Tried - Merle Haggard
Songs My Mother Loved - Milton Berle
Mother and Child Reunion - Paul Simon
Mother the Queen of My Heart - Ramblin' Jack Elliott
Mama Sang a Song - Walter Brennan
My Mother's Eyes - Willie Nelson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Esther,
Maybe the Hardest event to happen is the loss of a Mother.
I love your sentimentality. Thanks for these tunes.
Vince