Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sessions Presents 26 Original Hits (1978)


As we count down the last few hours of summer, I've decided to share a double-record set with you today. Remember those TV commercials that would advertise record compilations by a company called Sessions? Well, this is one of those albums - and I got it for $1 in the HBP bargain bin! It's a great album with some wonderful familiar hit songs from the late 1950s and early 1960s. And I really like the cover - with the old record player and 45s. Remember how fun it was to buy the latest record and invite your friends over to listen to it? And you would have an impromptu dance party after school? Kids today don't know what they're missing since they don't do that anymore!

I like all but one song on this double-album (I've never liked #3 on Side 1, and I particularly don't like this version - I've always found it annoying with his "oh, yeah!"). But the one song that I think I really, really like is "Born Too Late". The first time I heard it was around the time that David Cassidy became a big teen idol. He was 20 when "The Partridge Family" first came on TV, and I was 9. I developed a huge crush on him, and "Born Too Late" became the song that I would dedicate to him every time I listened to it. I still think of him when I hear it. Sigh.

Well, anyway, I think you should definitely download this and play it at your next Saturday night sock-hop! It'll bring back lots of wonderful memories!

Track listing for Sessions Presents 26 Original Hits:

Side 1:
1. My Happiness - Connie Francis
2. Tom Dooley - Kingston Trio
3. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter - Billy Williams
4. Teenager in Love - Dion & The Belmonts
5. Born Too Late - Poni-Tails
6. Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant
7. Young Love - Sonny James

Side 2:
1. Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers
2. Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers
3. It's Just a Matter of Time - Brook Benton
4. Tonight You Belong to Me - The Lennon Sisters with Lawrence Welk
5. I Hear You Knocking - Gale Storm
6. Don't Forbid Me - Pat Boone

Side 3:
1. Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare) - Domenico Modugno
2. To Know Him Is to Love Him - Teddy Bears
3. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - The Platters
4. Ivory Tower - Cathy Carr
5. 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) - Four Preps
6. Green Door - Jim Lowe
7. Allegheny Moon - Patti Page

Side 4:
1. Tammy - Debbie Reynolds
2. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing - Four Aces
3. Broken Hearted Melody - Sarah Vaughan
4. Honeycomb - Jimmie Rodgers
5. Morning Side of the Mountain - Tommy Edwards
6. A Sweet Old-Fashioned Girl - Teresa Brewer

2 comments:

EasyStackin said...

Awesome collection!!!! Nice job, Stax! Thank you!

Esther said...

Thanks, easystackin! Glad you liked this one!