Sunday, November 02, 2008

John F. Kennedy - A Memorial Album (1964)


Since Election Day is only two days away, I decided to post this JFK album that belonged to my mother. My mother was a big JFK fan, and I vaguely remember her listening to this album a couple of times. This is the first time I've listened to it (I'm not exactly crazy about spoken-word albums or speeches). But for you all that like to listen to political speeches (as if you haven't had enough of them lately), I gladly share this album with you.

This album is a compilation of JFK's most famous speeches, and also has comments by Barry Goldwater, Adlai Stevenson, LBJ, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and others. Not only do we have Election Day in two days, but this month also marks the 45th anniversary of the assassination of JFK (not a good day for us Dallasites). But this album hold some pretty historic moments, so it's worth a listen.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
John Fitzgerald Kennedy 1917-1963

(Because there were no track separations, I only have this broken down into Side A and Side B.)

Track information for John F. Kennedy - A Memorial Album:

Side A:
Pre-Election speech of Senator Kennedy
Oath of office for presidency by J.F.K.
Inaugural address by J.F.K.
Presidential press conferences
J.F.K. speech on space flight
J.F.K. speech on Cuban crisis

Side B:
J.F.K. speech in Houston, Texas
Newscast of assassination
Eyewitness account of assassination
Ambassador Adlai Stevenson
Senator Barry Goldwater
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Prime Minister Sir Alec Home
His Holiness Pope Paul VI
President Lyndon B. Johnson
Eulogy - Taps

Here's a video of a political ad for the JFK Presidential Campaign Song:

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Dear god,
there was a time when politicians knew how to talk.

Thank you for the post.

Rob said...

Hello there - A friend of mine sent me the link to you JFK album since I'm a devoted fan of President Kennedy's. I just wanted to thank you for sharing - I truly enjoyed listening to the speeches and watching the "Kennedy" video. On Nov. 22nd I'll be making my fourth trip to Dealey Plaza to pay my respects to President Kennedy. Feel free to visit my JFK message board at www.jfkforum.com.

- Rob

Esther said...

Hi, Lacey!

Glad you liked it! And I agree!

Esther said...

Hi, Rob!

Thank your friend for me for giving you the link!
I still cry every time I go to the Sixth Floor Museum - such a tragedy and certainly one of the worst moments in history. I'll be sure to check out your message board!

Rob said...

One more thing - I'm throwing a JFK contest to celebrate my new JFK message board. The lucky winner will receive a fine hardback book titled "From Love Field" by Nellie Conally about the final hours with President Kennedy. Stop by when you get the chance.
Rob

JeansMusicBlog said...

Esther, I remember the day JFK was shot like it was yesterday. Who will not ?
This looks like a very interesting album.
Getting it now. Thanks in advance !