Sunday, December 06, 2009

Cyril Stapleton and his Orchestra with Children's Chorus - Children's Christmas Album (1959)


I couldn't resist buying this record when I saw it in the HPB bargain bin - love the artwork! If you listen closely to the songs, you'll be able to hear the children's British accents - either that, or they have impeccable diction. Billboard Magazine gave this album three stars in its November 16, 1959 issue, and gave this review, "Good low-price Xmas buy. Stapleton's ork plays material suitable for the holiday season. Much charm contributed by the children's chorus. 'Christmas Alphabet', 'Rudolph' and 'Greensleeves' are typical." I'm not exactly sure what they mean by 'typical'...hmmm. I was a little surprised by the choice of songs on this album - most of them aren't exactly what I consider children's songs. But maybe back in 1959 they were considered just that ('Christmas Island' a children's song?). Anyway, I do like this album - hope you do too!

Track listing for Cyril Stapleton - Children's Christmas Album:

Side 1:
1. Christmas Alphabet
2. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
3. Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer
4. Christmas Island
5. White Christmas

Side 2:
1. I Saw Three Ships
2. Once in Royal David's City
3. Greensleeves
4. The Holly and the Ivy
5. Silent Night

No comments: