Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lawrence Welk - Merry Christmas from Lawrence Welk and His Champagne Music (1956)


Todays Christmas album is dedicated to the memory of my parents, who loved watching "The Lawrence Welk Show" and who passed the love of this kind of music to me. I grew up watching Lawrence Welk on Saturday evenings after we would come home from Saturday evening Mass, but this album came out years before I became a fan of Mr. Wunnerful. I found this album in pristine condition at an estate sale. As you can see from the photo, it still has the original cellophane wrap with the K-Mart price sticker! I love finding treasures like this! This is definitely an album worth playing on Christmas morning as you open up all your presents!

Track listing for Merry Christmas from Lawrence Welk and His Champagne Music:

Side 1:
1. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - Instrument Fox Trot
2. I Wanna Do More Than Whistle (Under the Mistletoe) - Vocal by The Sparklers and Alice Lon
3. White Christmas - Vocal by The Sparklers
4. Christmas Island - Vocal by The Sparklers
5. The Christmas Toy - Vocal by The Lennon Sisters
6. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Instrumental

Side 2:
1. Winter Wonderland - With Larry, Dick and Curt
2. Christmas Dreaming (A Little Early This Year) - Vocal by Dick Dale
3. Christmas Comes But Once a Year - Vocal by Larry, Dean and The Sparklers
4. Thanks for Christmas - Vocal by Alice Lon and The Sparklers
5. Twelve Gifts of Christmas - Vocal by Larry, Dean and The Sparklers
6. High on the House Top - Vocal by Larry Hooper

Here's a clip from the 1958 Lawrence Welk Christmas show:

5 comments:

RecordCollector said...

Thanks Esther!
Good choice, merry Xmas!

Dan said...

Thanks so much!

doug said...

Thanks Esther,
I also grew up with Lawrence Welk, first in glorious blank white, then in amazing color. This post is truly Wunnerful, Wunnerful.

vilstef said...

I spent scores of Saturday evenings watching Lawrence Welk with my Mother. I still love the violin, harpsichord and vibes from the examples. My Mom occasionally reminiced about seeing Welk's band at the Swing Lan Ballroom.

Diane said...

hi
I also have wonderful memories of saturday nights with lawrence welk as my parents always had it on. the strongest memory I have however, is the show playing as my parents got ready to go out on the town. the house smelling of old spice after shave and emeraude perfume while my mom and dad fluttered about getting ready for the saturday night social down at the local sons of italy, knights of columbus or some other social.I just loved those times.