Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Percy Faith Strings - Bouquet (1959)


As I've mentioned before, I inherited my mother's records after she passed away in 1993, and I credit her for instilling the love of music in me. This particular record is one that really brings back a flood of memories. As I listen to it, I can see my mother sitting at the dining room table working on lesson plans (she was a teacher) on a Saturday afternoon while playing this album on her console stereo. Or, I can see her on a summer day sitting on a short stool, barefoot and wearing her "pedal pushers" (who remembers those?) while she cleaned her records with some red liquid. (I've never seen that red liquid since my childhood, so if anybody knows what it is, please tell me.) Percy Faith was one of her absolute favorites and "Bouquet" is probably one of the first albums I remember ever being played at our house. And after all these years, it still holds up. The lush strings, the beautiful melodies... but most of all, the vivid memory of my mother humming along and wearing those pedal pushers.

Track listing for The Percy Faith Strings - Bouquet:

Side 1:
1. Bouquet
2. Tenderly
3. Laura
4. The Song from Moulin Rouge
5. Beyond the Sea
6. Autumn Leaves

Side 2:
1. Speak Low
2. Solitude
3. Deep Purple
4. Intermezzo
5. Ebb Tide
6. Fascination

6 comments:

vilstef said...

I have to download it just for the story about your mother. :)

I've been around vinyl a long time and I have no clue about the red liquid.

Esther said...

Hi, Vilstef!

My mother was quite a woman. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my memories about her.

As for the red liquid, I remember it came in a glass bottle and it was kind of oily. She used it to clean her 78s mostly, but also used it on her LPs. I'll have to look on eBay to see if I find anything like it.

Thanks for visiting!
Esther

Unknown said...

I hope you will write a lot more about your memories of your mother - that alone makes it worth visiting your blog. Your accounts are so vivid and descriptive I could close my eyes and picture it (at least my interpretation, since I wasn't there).

Terry said...

Hi Esther,

I just found your blog--what a treasure trove! I find that as I get older (mid-40's), I crave listening to music from the 50's, 60's and 70's; thanks for sharing.

I've never heard of the red liquid you mention, but several years ago, I bought some disc washer for records called "Discwasher D+". Not sure if it's still made, but I imagine if not, something similar is out there.

~Terry

K.Raghunathan said...

Another great album and nice memories of your mother.

Benjamin said...

I just found this one at a flea market. I'm transferring it as I write this, and I found YOUR entry after looking for a digital album cover for it. There is NOTHING like playing these great orchestral albums on a Saturday. I know exactly how your Mom felt :) It's the best way to spend a Saturday. Flea Market/Record Store in the morning, Playback in the afternoon! I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You. Are. Awesome.