Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cliff Deegan and His Western Riders - Cowboy Favorites


I love, love, LOVE this album cover! That is really the main reason I bought this album. I want a cowgirl outfit like the girl on the cover! I'm planning a dude ranch vacation this year and I think an outfit like that would make me very popular - maybe even catch me a rugged cowboy! I didn't really expect much from the album itself - figured it was just one of those low-budget so-so records. But I really enjoyed it and found myself singing along with the songs I knew. Unfortunately, the song I was really looking forward to hearing has some skips ("Pistol Packin' Mama"), but "A Cowboy Has to Sing" and "El Rancho Grande" make up for it. After listening to "A Cowboy Has to Sing", I just want to yodel. (Anyone have some good yodeling records to share?) And since I speak Spanish fluently and know the words to "El Rancho Grande", listening to this version just cracks me up. Oh, I couldn't find a release date on this, but I'm figuring late 1950s or early 1960s. Gosh, I just can't get enough of that cover! It is definitely going up on my wall - LOVE it! So, I hope you get as much enjoyment from this as I did! (BTW, if anyone can give me some recommendations of some good dude ranches, I'd appreciate it!)

Track listing for Cliff Deegan and His Western Riders - Cowboy Favorites:

Side 1:
1. When Payday Rolls Around
2. Ridin' Down the Canyon
3. Pistol Packin' Mama (contains several skips)
4. Cool Water
5. Tumbling Tumbleweeds
6. Deep In the Heart of Texas (a favorite, of course!)

Side 2:
1. Take Me Back to My Boots and Saddle
2. Home On the Range
3. Beside the Rio Grande
4. A Cowboy Has to Sing
5. Red River Valley
6. El Rancho Grande

3 comments:

ChildsPlay said...

If you get an outfit like that, you will have to be sure to post a picture.

MandoRev said...

Some Good Dude Ranches in Montana

63 Ranch
Mountain Sky

Both out of Livingston Mt
63 Ranch is more remote and Rustic

Mountain Sky is a bit more upscale

Played music and called dances at both places until I moved. The band was still playing there last summer and are planing on being there in 2011.
Another plus is that Yellowstone National Park is just up the road and Glacier National Park is just over the hill.

RadioWizard said...

You ever look into Western Swing, from groups like the Light Crust Doughboys, or Tex Williams and his Western Caravan? Check out the Internet Arhchive..www.archive.org
Just type in western swing in the search...or check out westernswing78.blogspot.com
Aww haww!
RadioWizard