Monday, January 03, 2011

Steve Allen - Around the World (1959)


Happy New Year, everyone! Here's wishing you a happy, prosperous, and healthy 2011!

One of my New Year resolutions is to get back to posting on a regular basis - twice a week (except when I'm on vacation). I had to work a lot of overtime (paid, thankfully) last year, so I was unable to post as much as I would have liked to, but my new job is great and seems like there will be overtime just once in awhile. So, I'm hoping to have more time to dedicate to digitizing my record collection, scanning tons of old negatives, and tending to all my other interests.

So, to start off 2011, I offer you this little gem that I bought last month at my favorite little resale shop down the street (I also bought two Christmas albums, which I'll share during the next Christmas season). It was the cover art that first grabbed my attention to this album (it'll be framed and hanging in my entryway in the next few days), but I also enjoy listening to Steve Allen. I've already posted my two other Steve Allen albums, and I find them very enjoyable and relaxing. Steve takes us on a trip around the world to places such as Mexico, Spain, France, Japan, Germany, and others. So, if you're already planning your vacation for 2011 (I am), give a listen to this album for some ideas as to where you'd like to go.

Track listing for Steve Allen - Around the World:

Side 1:
1. Adios (Mexico)
2. Madre (Spain)
3. When the World Was Young (France)
4. Fight for the Land (England)
5. Danny Boy (Ireland)
6. Auf Wiedersehn (Germany)

Side 2:
1. Holiday in Brussels (Belgium)
2. Non Dimenticar (Italy)
3. Song of India (India)
4. A Midsummer Night's Dream (Japan)
5. The Peanut Vendor (Cuba)
6. U.S.A. (The United States)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Esther,
Happy Newe year.
I love Steve allen.
He had a 4:30pm show in NYC and when I came home from school it was a load of laughs.
I am not sure if they were repeats but it was Black and White in the early 1960s.
I remember Louie Nye.
Steve did a hilarious disk jocky act where he threw the 45 records off stage.
One day everyone in the audiance was wearing black framed glasses like he had. He became histeriacl at this.
Thanks Vince

Swank Daddy said...

Allen also collaborated with "beat" poet/writer Jack Kerouac on the "Tonight Show" playing background piano accompaniment to Kerouac's reading of his own works - a daring departure for 50's-60's American television. I also enjoyed his "Meeting of Minds" series (on PBS?) with wife, Jayne Meadows. Allen was truly a "renaissance man".

Thanks for sharing this album.