Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Geraldo and his Orchestra - Dance, Dance, Dance! (1958)


Woo hoo! As of today, I have passed 150,000 hits on my blog! Thanks so much to all of you who visit regularly, and welcome to those who are only now finding this blog! I love music and I am glad that I am able to share my records with you all!

Well, ever since I brought up my entire record collection from my other house, I have shared several records that once belonged to my mom. This is another one, and it was a gift from my Uncle Abel (my mom's younger brother) to my mom in the summer of 1959 (my mom scribbled this on the back of the album). My uncle also shared my mom's love of music, and I even have some of his old records (my aunt gave them to me after he died). Anyway, this album is great for dancing as each track is actually a medley of several songs lasting about 5 minutes or so. According to the album cover, there are "36 Dance Favorites in Hi-Fi". Geraldo was actually Gerald Bright, a British bandleader, who adopted the name "Geraldo" in 1930 to become one of the most popular dance-band leaders of the 1930s with his "sweet music" and his "Gaucho Tango Orchestra". He died in 1974 while on holiday in Switzerland.

So, put on your dancing shoes and "Dance, Dance, Dance!" to the music of Geraldo!

Track listing for Geraldo and his Orchestra - Dance, Dance, Dance!:

Side 1:
1. Dance Little Lady; All the Things You Are; Button Up Your Overcoat; The Way You Look Tonight; The Lady is a Tramp
2. The Merry Widow Waltz; Falling in Love with Love; The Blue Danube Waltz
3. Long Ago (And Far Away); Dearly Beloved; You Were Never Lovelier; Love Walked In
4. Nice Work If You Can Get It; The Best Things in Life Are Free; Shall We Dance; A Fine Romance; You're the Cream in My Coffee

Side 2:
1. It's Delovely; Easy to Love; I Won't Dance; I Love Paris; In the Still of the Night
2. Lovely to Look At; We'll Gather Lilacs; Can I Forget You; There's a Small Hotel
3. Carioca; Cherry Pink Mambo; April in Portugal; Mu Cha Cha; My Heart Belongs to Daddy
4. The World is Waiting for the Sunrise; Why Do I Love You; I'm Old-Fashioned; On Your Toes; You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To

Here's a video of Geraldo and his Gaucho Tango Orchestra in 1932:

2 comments:

Pidgey said...

fun stuff, thanks

The Blog of Bee said...

I can't believe I found this whilst searching through musicians.

I used to work for Geraldo Entertainments in the mid 70s (after Geraldo's death in 1974.