Sunday, July 06, 2008

Percy Faith - Viva! (1957)


Hola, amigos! (Yes, I am fluent in Spanish, but I'll continue the rest in English.) Today's offering is another album of my mother's that I grew up listening to. My mom belonged to the Columbia House record club (I later belonged to it - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree), and she bought lots of cool records, most of which I have now. My mom loved Percy Faith, so I have several of his records. Although this album was released in 1957, I don't think my mom bought it until 1959 because on the back of the album cover she wrote her name and '1959' (my mom liked to scribble notes on the backs of her record albums). So, take another trip down memory lane and give a listen to this "Music from Mexico" album from Percy Faith and his orchestra!

Track listing for Percy Faith - Viva!:

Side 1:
1. Granada
2. La Golondrina (The Swallow)
3. La Cucaracha (The Mexican Cockroach Song)
4. Chiapanecas (The Mexican Hand-Clapping Song)
5. Estrellita (My Little Star)
6. El Rancho Grande (My Ranch)
7. La Paloma (The Dove)

Side 2:
1. Be Mine Tonight (Noche de Ronda)
2. Mexican Hat Dance (Jarabe Tapatio)
3. Guadalajara
4. Zandunga; Jesusita en Chihuahua (The Dancing Donkey)
5. Cuanto Le Gusta
6. Solamente Una Vez (You Belong to My Heart)

3 comments:

doug said...

Thank you for a really fabulous post. I believe this is the best Mexican music record ever made. The arrangements and musicianship are superb, and your digitizing is excellant. I used to own this Lp when it was new, but my copy was in glorious mono, so this is a real treat. A great big GRACIAS! to you.

Esther said...

Hi, Doug,

Glad you liked it! And thanks for visiting!

Esther

EasyStackin said...

Esther, Percy was a favorite with my parents as well. This album I picked up myself due to Cuanto Le Gusta that I had by the Andrew Sisters on a 78. The Stereo instrumental is a fresh rendition. Mr. Faith is noted for his enjoyment of 'latin' music. He does it well.
Thanks for the post!