Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kurt Russell - Kurt Russell (1970)


This was my holy grail of record albums for a long time. I searched and searched for it at garage sales, used record stores, flea markets, and the internet forever. I had never seen it in person, only seen it advertised in the teen magazines from back in the day (1970 to be exact). I remember that I wanted the album when I was a kid, but forgot about it until I bought an old teen magazine on eBay many years back, and it had an advertisement for this record. That's when I became obsessed with finding it and adding it to my celebrity vocals collection. Finally, about two years ago or so, I saw it listed on eBay - sealed (you can still see the shrink wrap in the picture)! I bid on it and kept increasing my max bid limit, thinking long and hard as to how much I wanted to spend on this album (sealed!). I think I finally decided that I would pay up to $100 for it. Thank goodness, I won it and for a lot less than $100 - whew! But, to date, I think it is one of the top five most expensive records that I've bought. Of course, I wasn't about to leave it sealed. The main reason I wanted it was so that I could listen to it and enjoy it! I even invited some friends over to listen to it. I've always loved Kurt Russell and this album is a great example of the bubble-gum music that was popular in the late 60s and early 70s. One of the songs on this album, "Sugar Sugar", which was made famous by the Archies, has also appeared on one of the Ultra Lounge CDs. Most of the other songs will also sound familiar. All in all, it's a fun album!

Track listing for Kurt Russell - Kurt Russell:

Side 1:
1. Hey Baby I Love You
2. Sugar, Sugar
3. My Baby Loves Lovin'
4. It Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore
5. I Believe in Love

Side 2:
1. Moving Like a River
2. Dizzy
3. Randi Randi
4. A Summer Song
5. Hey Mr. Sun

Here's a video of Kurt Russell singing "Sugar Sugar" at Disneyland:

10 comments:

Domenic Ciccone (AKA Martooni) said...

Thank you for sharing, the personal stories about your interests and forking out the e- bucks to deliver.

Listening to your latest podcast right now. Your a busy girl.

nlgbbbblth said...

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to hearing this. Paul

coolhandjennie said...

Before there was Zac Efron, there was Kurt Russell...Wow, 2 names I never expected to see in one sentence!

I had no idea this even existed, how cool! I heart Kurt Russell forever!!!

Vinyl Room said...

What a little cutie this record is.

Thank you for bringing this to us.

I didn't realise Kurt made a recording.

VR

Alex said...

Today is my lucky day !!
thank you for sharing this treasure Esther

Anonymous said...

I've been assimilated by the BLOG!
Resistance of the Stax o Wax is futile.

I'm totally hooked on your site.
Thanks for this LP fellow PodOmatic user.

Pop Rocks Podcast
http://jrclaiborn.podomatic.com

Esther said...

Hey, y'all!

Thanks for all your wonderful comments! I do read them all but don't get around to answering every one. Glad you like my records, and for listening to my podcast!

Esther

Unknown said...

This is terrific. Big fan of Kurt Russell and a big fan of odd, obscure and offbeat audio. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all this rare material.

Matt Zitron said...

Hey,

Will you be relisting this? Just seen it now and missed out!

Thanks!
Z

Esther said...

Hi, Matt,

Almost all my music backups were deleted recently, and I don't plan on re-upping them (too many of them). But, here's Kurt!

Thanks for visiting!
Esther