Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Sam "The Man" Taylor - In The Mood For Sax: More Blue Mist (1960)


Anybody in the mood for some sax? I love the saxophone (I play alto sax). I think it is the sexiest musical instrument around. Listening to some good sax music is guaranteed to put you in the mood! ;-)

Can you believe that I found this album in the HPB bargain bin for only 50 cents? I bought it for the album cover (are those girls really "nekked" under those gauzy gowns?) alone. I'd never heard of Sam "The Man" Taylor, but when I saw that he played tenor sax, I thought it might be a pretty good album. Well, I love this album - it's my new favorite album! This is the way I like to hear the sax played - very sexy indeed! "Tenderly" is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I absolutely love the way Sam plays it on this album. I hope you like this album as much as I do!

Track listing for Sam "The Man" Taylor - In The Mood For Sax: More Blue Mist:

Side 1:
1. Tenderly
2. Prelude To A Kiss
3. I'm In The Mood For Love
4. If I Ever Love Again
5. Reflections
6. Stella By Starlight

Side 2:
1. Love Me
2. Willow Weep For Me
3. This Love Of Mine
4. (I Got A Woman Crazy For Me) She's Funny That Way
5. I Should Care
6. Close Your Eyes (Brahms Lullaby)

4 comments:

doug said...

Thank you for this fabulous post. I have liked Sam Taylor for years, he plays like Georgie Auld did on the songs he did with the Jud Conlan singers, "MISTY", "MANHATTAN", etc.

Anonymous said...

Sam "The Man" Taylor is featured on Quincy Jones "Birth Of A Band"album.

Sam Taylor (saxophonist)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Sam Taylor (jazz))
Jump to: navigation, search

Sam L. Taylor (born 12 July 1916, Lexington, Tennessee[1]), best known as the tenor saxophonist Sam "The Man" Taylor, was a jazz and blues player, whose honking style set the standard for tenor sax solos in both rock and roll and rhythm and blues.

Taylor attended Alabama State University, where he played with the noted Bama State Collegians. He worked with Scatman Crothers, Cootie Williams, Lucky Millinder, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Buddy Johnson, Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner, and many more. He was one of the most requested session sax players in New York recording studios in the 1950s. Taylor also replaced Count Basie as the house bandleader on legendary disc jockey Alan Freed's "Camel Rock 'n Roll Dance Party" radio series over CBS.

It was Taylor's sax solo that appeared on Big Joe Turner's original version of "Shake, Rattle and Roll". He also played on "Money Honey" recorded by The Drifters.

During the 1960s, he led a five-piece band, the Blues Chasers.

Unknown said...

Sam Taylor was the tenor player on all of the best known classic Screamin' Jay Hawkins records.

Although Plas Johnson played on a later date--which included "Constipation Blues"--Sam was Hawkins' main saxophonist.

Thanks for a great post!

Baron said...

Thanks ... Sam Taylor ... I missed this ... ignorance on my part ...Baron