Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Robert Mitchum - That Man Robert Mitchum Sings (1967)


Robert Mitchum is probably my favorite actor of all time. I loved him in westerns, war movies, film noir (especially!), as the anti-hero, and as the villain. There was just something about him that was so... manly. His deep voice, bedroom eyes, bad-boy reputation... sigh. His movies are the kind that I can watch over and over again. I especially like "Night of the Hunter", "Cape Fear", "Out of the Past", and every film noir he did. I even looked forward to the commercials where he did the voice over - "Beef... it's what's for dinner." I recognized his voice the very first time I heard that commercial (I think Sam Elliott does it now). Anyway, I got this album on eBay a few years ago and I love it. Whereas his first album (Calyso Is Just Like So) was calypso style songs - even down to his accent - this album is more country. So grab a cold one and sit back to have a listen.

Track listing for That Man Robert Mitchum Sings:

Side 1:
1. You Deserve Each Other
2. Walker's Woods
3. Wheels (Keep A Rollin')
4. In My Place
5. Ballad of Thunder Road
6. That Man Right There

Side 2:
1. Little Ole Wine Drinker Me
2. Ricardo's Mountain
3. Sunny
4. Little White Lies
5. Whippoorwill
6. Gotta Travel On

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's another example of your rare record sluthing abilities and pin point acurracy in music I would like to hear, which I am listen to as I write you.
Thanks Esther, Vince

Donna Lethal said...

I sure do love THAT MAN! Thanks for posting.

vilstef said...

I'd been looking for The Ballad of Thunder Road for a long time. This sounds like a remake, not quite like the single, still nice to have. Everything else is a bonus. Thank you!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ said...

vilstef: http://downunderground.blogspot.com/2009/06/robert-mitchum-little-ole-wine-drinker.html

The Ballad of Thunder Road can be found there. ;O

Unknown said...

Thanks very much!