Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (1966)


This is one of my all-time favorites (how many times have I said that?)! I've always loved the groovy sounds of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - the easy rhythms, light jazz, bossa nova, great vocals. Well, this is their debut album and it is a real treasure (rescued from the HPB bargain bin!). And, because my friend Bradley loves them so much, this post is dedicated to him.

Track listing for Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66:

Side 1:
1. Mais Que Nada
2. One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
3. The Joker
4. Going Out of My Head
5. Tim Dom Dom

Side 2:
1. Daytripper
2. Agua de Beber
3. Slow Hot Wind
4. O Pato
5. Berimbau

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Esther,
I guess I have the 2nd album so this one is a treat for me.

The vocals on the album I have are spectacularly sweet,sensitive and meaningful. I didn't know that till about 15 years ago.
My cousin gave me the album around 1967-8. I thought it was ok and saved it. So years later when I decided to revisit the LP I was struck by the beautiful words and the female singer. Just great.
Thanks for this. Vince

Darryl Whalen said...

sergio mendes really is the best and this record is great - thank you - darryl

nlgbbbblth said...

great LP Esther, one of my favourites of the period. Stillness is another fine effort from the group too.

I have just started uploading LPs in a similiar vein. My blog is called Spiral - http://www.nlgbbbblth.blogspot.com/

Have a look!
All the best. Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi Esther,

Is it possible to put up a new link for this album?

Thanks,
Julian

Esther said...

Hi, Julian,

Sorry for the delay in reupping this. It's there now!

Thanks for visiting!
Esther