Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jack Elliott At The Piano-With His Orchestra - Are You Lonesome Tonight? and The Wonderful Melodies Of The Sixties (1961)


Here's another gem I dug out of the HPB bargain bin. I'd never heard of Jack Elliott and his orchestra, but I liked the album cover (of course) and liked all the songs. And it's a good album - very soothing and melodious. This is also the first recording of "Greenfields" that I've liked, too. I always found the vocal "hit" version very gloomy, but it's done here with a little more nighttime jazzy feel. All the songs are familiar, having been the "best songs of 1960" per the liner notes, and some are bouncy while others are more mellow. All in all, a good addition to your easy listening collection!

Track listing for Jack Elliott with His Orchestra - Are You Lonesome Tonight?:

Side 1:
1. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
2. Wonderland By Night
3. Mack The Knife
4. It's Now Or Never
5. The Theme From A Summer Place
6. My Little Corner Of The World

Side 2:
1. Calcutta
2. Main Theme From Exodus
3. Sailor (Your Home Is The Sea)
4. Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
5. Greenfields
6. Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home

4 comments:

IgnacioEsteban said...

Hi: thank you for your time and excellent music, best wishes.
Esteban

doug said...

Thanks for a fabulous post. The music is interesting as well as relaxing. Also, very well digitized. Your taste is great.

Anonymous said...

What a mellow album. Just what I needed to destress from this ugly Philadelphia climate. ...and I'm speaking of both people and weather. ThanQ again!

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to de-stress from this ugly Philadelphia climate..... and I am referring to both people and climate. ThanQ again!