Sunday, November 28, 2010

Andy Williams - Christmas Present (1974)


Hi, all! Took a little hiatus due to my work schedule, but I started a new job (hoping for NO or very little overtime) and I'm ready to get back at sharing my love of music with you! So, as we approach another Christmas season, let's get this going!

I remember buying this album with my own money from my allowance back in 1974 or 1975. I had just seen Andy Williams' Christmas special titled "Christmas Present" and absolutely loved the show. I especially liked the version of "Christmas Bells" sung by Andy's wife, Claudine Longet, and their daughter, Noelle. When I saw the record at the store, I just had to have it, but I had to convince my mother to let me buy it because it was "expensive" - $4.58 was a lot for a kid to spend on a record back then. Well, when I got it home, I was disappointed in the record (but I didn't dare tell my mother) because I had expected it to be a soundtrack of the show, but it was just Andy singing all the songs from the show. Now, of course, I love this record and Andy's singing, but I would still love to have a copy of that Christmas special, especially to see Claudine and Noelle singing "Christmas Bells". (So, if anyone knows if this show is available on DVD, please let me know!) I hope this album gets you all in the Christmas spirit!

Track listing for Andy Williams - Christmas Present:

Side 1:
1. Christmas Present
2. Joy to the World
3. O Little Town of Bethlehem
4. Christmas Bells
5. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
6. Ave Maria (Schubert)

Side 2:
1. Oh Come All Ye Faithful
2. Angels We Have Heard On High
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. Ave Maria (Gounod)
5. What Child Is This
6. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
7. The Lord's Prayer

Here's a public service announcement that Andy did around the time "Christmas Present" aired on TV:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8297699&style=movie

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/BF30006A-1405-458A-8645-AB1C4280E40D/

Andy Williams Collection.
3 Discs lots of Christmas Stuff.

Deep Discount has no shipping. Both Very Reliable.
Vince

Brad said...

The Christmas specials DVD is out of print. But I recently saw a listing on Amazon for a re-release in January. Not entirely sure, but I'm hoping it's the same title.

Brad
aka The King of Jingaling
FaLaLaLaLa.com

Esther said...

Thanks, Vince! Thanks, Brad! I'll check out those links!

Esther

mel said...

I wish you every success with your new job, Esther!

Esther said...

Thanks, Mel!


Esther

ChildsPlay said...

Thanks, Esther. It's good to have you back.