Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Herbie Lane & His Orchestra - Music to Remember You By (1955)


I don't know what it is about the budget labels, but I just love buying the albums on those old budget labels! Most of the time, I find that the covers were just much more fun. You could almost always count on a pretty girl on the cover (the "cheesecake" covers), as this album illustrates, although this one is probably less "cheesecake" than others. This particular album is by Herbie Lane, with whom I am not familiar at all. But it's a pleasant enough record with all familiar pop standards. I think it was worth the 50 cents or $1 that I paid for it. :-)

Track listing for Herbie Lane - Music to Remember You By:

Side 1:
1. The Song Is You
2. Lisbon Antigua
3. Just One of Those Things
4. You Go to My Head
5. The Theme from Picnic
6. Moonlight Serenade

Side 2:
1. Yesterdays
2. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
3. Autumn Leaves
4. The Nearness of You
5. Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Esther;
I have wanted to thank you for a long time, and I finally got a Google account, so here goes:
First thank you for this pleasant post. I had to check it out because I'm nuts for Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade", and I love hearing other versions. This one's nice!
Speaking of nice, that's you all over. You and your Blog (and your radio show) are one of the true rays of sunshine on the internet.
If I may say, you are a little offbeat, but A LOT upbeat!
I'm from Ontario, Canada, and my wife & I absolutely love all the snow & very wintery winter we're having (even up here, we're considered offbeat:)). So I know that you & I are opposites that way, but musically, we're pretty mutual. Well, you've exposed me to a wonderful, happy melodic world with so many of your posts. And I was a "punker" once too:)))
Esther, just had to let you know how infectious your positivity has been, with your taste, annecdotes, memories of your Mom...
You host such a joyful corner of Blogland, and Lady, long may you!

Esther said...

Hi, tanktop!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoy the "show" and the records I have shared.

We had another "winter storm" in Dallas today, but nothing like last week's. Hopefully this is the last one for the season! If we were better prepared for this weather, and if I could work from home, I wouldn't mind it so much - as long as I don't have to go anywhere! Y'all keep warm up in Ontario! And thanks again for visiting!

Esther

doug said...

Thank you again for this fabulous blog. Do you have "Best Band On Campus" by Les Elgart?

Esther said...

Hi, Doug!

Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoy the blog! No, I don't have that album by Les Elgart. But I'll keep an eye out for it, and if I do come across it, I'll be sure to share it.

Thanks again for visiting!
Esther