Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Serendipity Singers - The Many Sides of the Serendipity Singers (1964)


I love the Serendipity Singers and this album! What fun it is! I just really like choral groups and this type of folk music. The melodies and harmonies are great, and the songs are just fun. I have three favorites on this album - "Let Me Fly", "Beans In My Ears", and "Movin' In My Heart". I think I really like that third one because the Osmonds performed it in a medley on their live album back in the 1970s (I had not heard that song until they performed it). All the songs are great and I think you'll enjoy this album! Plus - how can you not like an album with a banjo???

Track listing for The Many Sides of the Serendipity Singers:

Side 1:
1. Let Me Fly (Zion)
2. Beans In My Ears
3. Soon It's Gonna Rain
4. Mill Girls Don't Sing or Dance
5. Look Away Over Yondro
6. The New Frankie and Johnny Song

Side 2:
1. You Don't Know
2. Down Where the Winds Blow
3. Movin' In My Heart
4. Six Foot Six
5. Hi-Lili-Hi-Lo
6. Fast Freight

Here's a vintage clip of The Serendipity Singers on Hollywood-A-Go-Go:

2 comments:

Days of the Broken Arrows said...

Not a bad album. I have it on vinyl as well. "Beans in My Ears" was a minor hit, getting to Number 30 in mid 1964. Good post; I'm sure many will enjoy.

Their 1967 release, "Love is a State of Mind" is a weird venture into psychedelia-lite. Worth checking out, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Esther:)
When I was a boy, my Mom & I would sing it together & get the giggles - I still love it!
The whole record is so upbeat, and I like the other 2 tunes you mentioned as well!