Sunday, January 24, 2010

Peggy Lee - Latin ala Lee! (1960)


Sorry I didn't get around to posting last Wednesday. I try to post on Sundays and Wednesdays, but I've been swamped at work and doing overtime, so I just ran out of time.

But today I have some Peggy Lee for you! What can I say about Peggy Lee? She was absolutely WONDERFUL! I bought this album during my ballroom dancing days and immediately loved it! All the songs are familiar because they are "Broadway hits styled with an Afro-Cuban beat". The back of the album says it best, "Here's Manhattan with a twist of Latin as Peggy Lee swings through hit songs from the Great White Way, accompanied by authentic Afro-Cuban rhythms." It's hard to pick a favorite from this album, but if I had to pick just one then I pick "Heart."

Track listing for Peggy Lee - Latin ala Lee! (link has been deleted - go buy CD on Amazon):

Side 1:
1. Heart ("Damn Yankees")
2. On the Street Where You Live ("My Fair Lady")
3. Till There Was You ("The Music Man")
4. I Am in Love ("Can-Can")
5. Hey There ("The Pajama Game")
6. I Could Have Danced All Night ("My Fair Lady")

Side 2:
1. The Surrey With the Fringe On Top ("Oklahoma!")
2. The Party's Over ("Bells Are Ringing")
3. Dance Only With Me ("Say Darling")
4. Wish You Were Here ("Wish You Were Here")
5. C'est Magnifique ("Can-Can")
6. I Enjoy Being a Girl ("Flower Drum Song")

3 comments:

litlgrey said...

Look good! I think I'll dive in.

Terry said...

My mother adored Peggy Lee and had this album in her collection too.

ChildsPlay said...

I really like that album. Thanks, Esther!