Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sally Field - Star of THE FLYING NUN (1967)


Remember "Gidget" and "The Flying Nun"? Neither show was of Emmy-award winning caliber, but they sure were fun shows - just mindless, silly entertainment! And to think that Sally Field, the star of those shows, would go on to win not one, but two, Academy Awards for Best Actress! I don't think anyone saw that coming - probably not even Sally herself!

This album is actually quite delightful, and one of my favorites in my collection. The songs are all upbeat and the kind you want to sing along with (if you know the words) or hum along with (if you don't know the words). Sally may not be the best singer, but she does a decent job (better than some of the other actors who tried their hand at singing) on this album. Besides, she's just always been so darn CUTE! For those of you who have children (or grandchildren) or work with little kids, this is a pretty good album for children as a lot of the songs have a children's chorus singing along and Sally (as Sister Bertrille) singing to them. I don't remember the show very well, but I think there was a school or orphanage associated with the convent where Sister Bertrille was. (I'm planning to buy the DVD of the series.)

Here are the liner notes for the album:
Sally Field is many things, including a typical American girl and a marvelous young actress; but she never, in her wildest dreams, thought that she would become a singer. Strangely enough, for many years Sally has had a secret longing to "...sing in a musical, either a movie or on Broadway." And seeing that Julie Andrews is Sally's personal "idol," it's not a bit surprising that she aspired to become a singer. Usually the dream and the reality are millions of miles apart. But, after listening to this album, I'm sure you'll agree, Sally's off to a flying start.

Gloria Stavers, Editor of 16 Magazine
Track listing for Sally Field - Star of THE FLYING NUN:

Side 1:
1. Who Needs Wings to Fly? (The Flying Nun Theme)
2. Felicidad
3. Count to Ten
4. Turn On the Sunshine
5. The Musicians
6. The Louder I Sing (The Braver I Get)
7. Follow the Star

Side 2:
1. Darkest Before Dawn
2. Optimize
3. I'm On My Way
4. Paint Me a Picture
5. Find Yourself a Rainbow
6. I'm So Glad I Can Fly
7. Who Needs Wings to Fly? (The Flying Nun Theme) (Reprise)

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi! I discovered your blog today. I think it's great! :o)

On the first season DVD, Sally mentions the soundtrack but until now I had never heard it. Thanks!

Unfortunately, Sally isn't very fond of The Flying Nun and prefers Gidget. I think both shows are fun.

nomwl1 said...

Hi Esther!

I agree with Sharon. I think both shows are fun! You're sharing such great albums! :)

Esther said...

Thanks to Sharon and novwl1 for the comments! I love both shows, too. Haven't been too successful in getting "Gidget" on ebay - I keep being outbid!

bluebird1111 said...

Nice to find another fan of the weird and wonderful. I'm addicted to this Sally Field LP. I have a mint copy which hangs, framed under glass, on the wall right next to my PC.

bluebird1111 said...

Nice to find another fan of the weird and wonderful. I'm addicted to this Sally Field LP. I have a mint copy which hangs, framed under glass, on the wall right next to my PC.

Lisa said...

Hi Esther,

I loved this album when I was a kid. It kept me thinking positive. Is there a way to download this music? I would love to share this with my students.

Peace, Lisa

Esther said...

Hi, Lisa!
This is a great album to share with school kids! To download it, just click on the pink highlighted album title right above the list of songs. That will take you to Megaupload and it will ask for you to type in three letters. Then you'll wait a few seconds until you can download it. That's it!
Thanks for stopping by!

Esther

gregj99 said...

Thanx for sharing this album since it has not been released digitally!

Do you have Sally's single "Golden Days" from the aborted second album? Would love to have that!

greg

Esther said...

Hi, Greg!

Glad you like this album!

No, I don't have Sally's single "Golden Days". But maybe someone who does will read this and share it with us!

Thanks for visiting!

Esther

Steve C. said...

I downlaoded that some weeks ago..the Musicians was a hit for Phil Harris, Betty Hutton, Tony Martin, and Dinah Shore as a team in 1951.

Unknown said...

Loved "The Flying Nun". I had this album as a child and somehow it disappeared from my collection. Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories!
Thank you so much for sharing!

Julie L said...

Just found your blog! Thanks for sharing this. The Flying Nun was one of my favorite shows and album. I lost the album years ago and have been trying to find it! What wonderful memories. I still catch myself singing some of the songs around the house!