Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album (1965)


This is one of my favorites. I absolutely love the way Astrud Gilberto sings - so easy and effortlessly! Like most folks, the first song I ever heard her sing was "The Girl from Ipanema" - well, I was immediately smitten with her singing! (I used to be able to play that song on the sax.) Also, thanks to her, I was introduced to the bossa nova sound, which I also love. Another good thing about this album is that Antonio Carlos Jobim (another favorite) is featured playing guitar (did I mention that I'm taking guitar lessons now?), and he wrote several of the songs. All in all, you just can't go wrong with this awesome record!

A few months ago, I was watching a movie on cable TV called "Get Yourself a College Girl" - one of those beach party type movies, but instead taking place at a ski resort. Frankie and Annette were not in it, but instead it starred Mary Ann Mobley, Chad Everett, Nancy Sinatra, and several others. Anyway, there's this one scene in the ski lodge where a band starts to play and I immediately recognized the song as "The Girl from Ipanema". It sounded exactly like the recording so I paid special attention. Then who walks in singing the song but Astrud Gilberto! As you see the band, it's Stan Getz playing sax! I was very excited (it's the simple things in life that make me happy!). Anyway, I've posted the video of that scene below the track listing for the album. Enjoy!

Track listing for Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album:

Side 1:
1. Once I Loved
2. Agua De Beber - with Antonio Carlos Jobim
3. Meditation
4. And Roses And Roses
5. O Morro (Nao Tem Vez)
6. How Insensitive

Side 2:
1. Dindi
2. Photograph
3. Dreamer
4. So Finha De Ser Com Voce
5. All That's Left is to Say Goodbye


Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz performing "The Girl from Ipanema" in the motion picture "Get Yourself a College Girl":

6 comments:

East Bay Gary said...

A lot of the albums you post are temporarily unavailable megashare. Too bad this is one of them.

Esther said...

Hi Gary!

I just tried to download it and had no problem. Probably just a bad time when you tried. Try again!

Thanks for visiting!

Dave said...

Girl From Ipanema. Boy what childhood memories that brings back. My parents were avid easy listening radio fans. WLEZ was the local call numbers. This song used to play at least once a day if not more in the 60's and early 70's. Thanks for that video.
dave

Esther said...

Hi, Dave!

Glad I could bring back some pleasant memories with this video! It was definitely the highlight of the movie it's from!

Thanks for visiting!

Becky said...

Thank you for this!

ALTCERF said...

First time here and great blog you have here...